Friday, June 28, 2013

Repeating & Epiphanies

This is the last song on my CD. It was also the title that I wrote on the CD as well, because I guess in a way, I think it sums up every other song on there. It's a declaration to God that I'm choosing to look to Him. I'm choosing to not let myself be overwhelmed. I'm choosing to ask for His vision on it all. I'm choosing to handle the situation with wisdom. And it's all for one reason. Because OUR GOD REIGNS. Hallelujah, our God reigns.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR5IoWH9OiI
If you took the time to listen to the entire song, you obviously noticed how often it repeats itself. For those of us who grew up in the traditional Reformed church, all that repeating may seem kind of silly. We said that already--why not say something new? God heard us the first time, right? There's no point in repeating. Didn't we mean it the first time around? Well yes, but...

I see repeating as a benefit for ourselves. There's physically only about 12 inches between our minds and our hearts, but spiritually that distance is often times much, much further. We know the right answers. We know our God reigns. We know He's in control. We know He loves us. We know, we know, we know. But what about our HEARTS?

I think we need to repeat because our mind has to go through a couple different steps before it's able to pass on all that wonderful information down to our hearts. Maybe at first, we just find ourselves singing along because everyone else is. Then we realize that we've said the same thing quite a few times now and we think "Wait a minute, what am I really saying here?" So then even though our mouths are moving and saying the words on the screen, our minds are working on really processing what is being said.

Maybe we're thinking something like: Our God REIGNS?? That means that absolutely nothing surprises Him. That means that He knows absolutely everything that is going on in this world. That means that He knows absolutely everything that is going on in ME. That means that there's nothing that He can't do. That means that EVERYTHING finds their meaning and purpose and fulfillment and satisfaction in God alone. That means that He is totally worthy of all my trust, all my praise, all my honor, all my love, all my devotion.

Then our minds are finally able to send that down to our hearts. All this stuff that we've known for so long but we've never really understood. Our hearts are finally getting the message! We're finally realizing that this King that reigns is the great Lover of our soul. It's the greatest feeling when the Spirit brings revelation to your heart and gives you epiphany feeling!
And then, our hearts & minds tune back into the song and we're singing wholeheartedly to the God who reigns. We can't wipe the smile off our face or the goosebumps on our arms.
HALLELUJAH, OUR GOD REIGNS!!

That's my hope for you when you listen to this song or any other song, whether it repeats itself or not. That the Spirit will help your mind be able to send the message 12 inches down to your heart and bring that epiphany feeling. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment