Thursday, December 22, 2011

Galem, BanSong, Nyim, & Fan

Teaching was fun yesterday! I got to talk with three of Christa's more advanced students while she taught the rest of her class. They helped me write/say a whole paragraph in Lao about ice cream (galem), volleyball (bansong), smiling (nyim), and boyfriend (fan) ;]
For her second class, I had to try to grade the students on their English pronunciation of Christmas words. I think I was too harsh, but Christa said it was good because usually she's too easy. During the rest of her class, I started reading the Chronicles of Narnia series. I haven't read a regular novel in a looong time, so this'll be good :]
After class, we went to a friend's dorm with maybe 12 other students for a Christmas party. We sang songs, played games, and ate food. For one of the games we had to put a chopstick in our mouth and transfer a rubberband down the line. Kinda tricky--especially when I'm over a foot taller than them. :] They were kind of shy to talk to me at first, but towards the end they warmed up. Christa basically speaks fluent Lao with them--I'm impressed! ;]
We left around 6:30pm, stopped at one roadside market for fresh papaya & dragon fruit and another market for grilled chicken, sticky rice, and papaya salad. Then we watched a movie while eating supper. It was good but the papaya salad was a little too spicy for me. I got tired pretty early and headed to bed around 9:00 I think? So then I was up at 5 this morning already, but that's okay :] Christa woke up around 7...we got ready for the day and now we're about to head out for breakfast, shopping, and massages!

3 comments:

  1. So Matt should get a shirt for next bansong season that says "I'm Danae's #1 fan" :) -- it's late and I'm tired but kinda funny??

    Enjoying your take on Laos! Continue to have fun over there!! - love, kristi

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! I like it :) except that it kinda sounds like I have more than one boyfriend? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol i just got the fan thing! very cute!!!

    ReplyDelete