Friday, December 23, 2011

Aham Sep Lai

The traffic to downtown was crazy busy yesterday. I think it took almost a half hour to get there, but I took lots of pictures. Our breakfast was sooo good yesterday. I had my first experience with Lao coffee. It's basically darker with sweetened condensed milk on the bottom. I'll definitely be getting more of that :] We also had mango stuffed pancakes, banana french toast, and a plate of fresh fruit. Throughout this whole past semester, I would usually have just yogurt, Cheerios, and a banana for breakfast, but this past week I have been spoiled. First at Matt's house, we had yumma breakfast every day and now here too. I love it! :]


After breakfast we went to Morning Market for Christa to shop for Christmas gifts for her housemates. I got a few things too. Then we went to White Lotus for an hour long massage/stretching--very nice :] We might go again...why not when they're only $5? After massages, we went to Taj Mahal Indian Restaurant--Christa's favorite. I liked it a lot too, so I'm sure we'll be back there, too.
They massaged our head too--hence the bit-o-craziness ;]
We headed back home for a little while and then went to "the four girls." They are four of Christa's students that she spends quite a bit of time with. A few of their friends/brothers were over, too, and they wanted to ask me questions but they were too shy. Christa was disappointed, but it was still fun just to watch/hear her interact with the others. They were all shocked by how tall I was of course. The guys found out that I play volleyball, but there was no way they would want to play against me because I wouldn't even have to jump. Then they asked how tall my boyfriend is, assuming, I'm sure, that there was no way that someone could be even taller than me, but I assured them that he was. ;]
After we got back, Christa & I had to tear mint leaves for supper and then I took a nap while Christa's housemates and other friends made the rest of supper. We had authentic Lao lapp with sticky rice. It was good too! That's where Sone taught me "sep lai" which how I respond when someone asks if the food is delicious. Sep lai = very delicious. All my food so far has been sep lai lai! :]
After supper, Christa and I chatted while making Christmas cookies for the party on Saturday. Then we watched Get Smart with the other girls until bed around 10ish. I slept in until 7 so I was happy! :] It's been a pretty lazy morning. We had breakfast with the same girls again. It wasn't exactly breakfasty food, but still sep lai! We're going to a Christmas party at another ELI teacher's house at 2pm, and that should last most of the day. Maybe then it will start feeling more like Christmas! :]

No comments:

Post a Comment