Sunday, February 12, 2012

Think Outside the Box

“Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us…” Ephesians 3:20. Read that verse again. Really let it sink in. Do you understand what it means to have a God who does more than our human brains could ever come up with? With all our head-knowledge, of course we know that verse to be true, but do we really comprehend it?
I know I personally fail to comprehend that on a regular basis. I have a tendency to put God inside a box. I put expectations on Him for what I would like Him to do, where I would like Him to go, and how I would like Him to do it. Of course, it’s not intentional. If I was conscious that I was doing it, I would never dream of putting God in a box. I’m getting better at catching myself, but often it takes me getting a little disappointed when God hasn’t answered my prayer the way I wanted before I realize that I’ve done it yet again.
In fact, I think we all tend to do this because of our natural human self that prefers comfort. We set expectations on God because we want to know what will happen so that we can prepare. Not to mention we subconsciously think that our way will work out best. Obviously, that’s not true, and thank God that He is so patient that He doesn’t get upset when we try to get Him to do what we want again and again.
I’m learning to anticipate more what God will do rather than expect. I am finally learning to let it sink in that God is able to do so much more than my brain could ever imagine. That way I don’t get disappointed when God doesn’t do what I expect Him to. Instead, He surprises me and awes me by doing things like only He can.
I’ll admit that I have set expectations on God for what I want Him to do. I have expected Him over and over again to work in a certain way at a certain time and at a certain place. But I’m through with that. From now on, I am thinking as far outside of the box as my brain is capable of. I am only anticipating what God will do in His own way. I can’t begin to imagine the ways that He will move, and frankly I don’t really want to imagine it. God has and will continue to step in and move in ways that He knows best and that best work according to His purpose. Will you join me in great anticipation and prayer for God to move in ways that are immeasurably more than all we could ask or imagine?

No comments:

Post a Comment