Friday, May 20, 2011

Prayer of Jabez [part 4]

1 Chronicles 4:10 (NKJV)
Jabez cried out to the God of Israel, “Oh, that you would bless me indeed and enlarge my territory, that Your hand would be with me, and that You would keep me from evil, that I may not cause pain.” So God granted what he requested.
Keep Me from Evil . . .
"When God blesses us and expands our territory, we aren't less tempted to sin (though it might feel that way); we are more likely to be tempted! You see, those who are content to do a few things for God don't bother Satan. Those who remain in their comfort zone pose little or no threat to him. But when you begin to take territory for God, guess whose territory you're invading?"

"Make sure that while you're asking God to keep temptation far from you, you're not inviting it to come near by making wrong choices . . . Acknowledge those areas where you're vulnerable and stay away!"

James 4:7b -- "Resist the devil and he will flee from you."

That I might not cause pain . . .
"All of us know from experience that the consequences of sin always include pain. When I sin, I hurt myself, others, and God. That's because sin disrupts my relationship with God, disillusions the faith of others, and damages the work of God."
We are causing pain to God, others, and ourselves when we fall into evil. That is why we need to ask God to keep us from evil. We can't do it without Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment